Tuesday, July 5, 2011

40's verses 50's part 2

Well, i have some other reasons why in chosing styles from one era over another. One big one is economy. I truly love the sweeping, dreamy styles from the 50's, however, they are so much more expensive to make. Because of rationing and "making do", most patterns from the 1940's era use a smaller amount of fabric--about 3 yards--and they use every little bit. In contrast, on most post-war dresses, it takes 3 or 4 yards for the skirt alone. Which means you can forget thrifting any fabric for re-use unless it is a wedding dress.



So, in the interest of being thrifty AND fun, i would choose a swing-y 40's style. Easy to make, easy to wear, and much less expensive to sew up.
And hey, the shorter hems show off those gams--which for most of us is the slimmest part of our lower half. Much more flattering in general to show a little calf with some cute wedge heels.
And who knows? maybe someone will ask you to dance!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures from these patterns are so pretty! I wish I had the time to help you w/ your venture, but I can't commit right now.

    You make me smile, I love reading here!

    ReplyDelete

feel free to message me about any dress details